Sunday, June 27, 2010

In the Big Inning

I actually started to begin this blog last night however my two month old decided she must be held for hours while she assumed a lotus position in my lap and contemplated the existence and reason for her toes. (We believe she has the genes of a Hindu yogi somewhere inside). After several hours she decided her toes were of little to no significance because she could not get them into her mouth and went to sleep. By that time my mind had gone into the blue screen of death and could not be rebooted.
We had thunder and lightning earlier today and I considered beginning with some StephenKing type of writing but then remembered even Stephen King doesn't write like StephenKing anymore, and ever since he put the words "military" and "stupid" together a few years ago I haven't been his biggest fan so I scrapped that idea for downloading old 70's rock onto my Ipod.
So anyway, here I am now. By way of introduction let me just say I am a relatively young southern male, "relatively young" when placed with those great men of the Old Testament such as Noah and Methuselah.
I know, due to the wonderful minds of the media and Hollyweird, when the term "southern" comes up many people automatically think of the terms "redneck", "ignorant", "racist", and of course "toothless". Let me first say I have no confederate flags, and I only rarely see them around. I can reed sum, and cipher so I'm not egsakly ignert. I have almost all of the teeth God gave me, although some of them have been reinforced over the years due to the chewing tobacco I spit. Ok, just kidding about the chew (I tried it once and stayed green for about a week). I do have a pickup truck, and I do own guns, and I am a military vet - I know, I know, that makes me a domestic terrorist to our current government. Whatever...
To be more precise, I live in Tennessee. Although it is considered a conservative state, I personally don't know any racists (since the aforementioned media and hollyweird place "conservative" with "racist"), and the only working plantation I have seen in my life is owned by the Algore in Carthage, Tn. (And, on behalf of many Tennesseans, I'd like to apologize for bringing you the Algore, creator of the internet and global warming). My great-grandparents are actually Irish-Scottish so when the whole Civil War thing was going on my forefathers were either drinking or plundering and looting while wearing fancy skirts in a whole other country. My typical white southern family also has black folks, brown folks, and some folks I'm not sure what they are. I think every family has at least one like that however. And these days, if you really read about the racism going on, it ain't the south anymore folks. Besides, since our "post-racial" president took office, the word "racist" now means "someone that disagrees with you". But that's another blog...
We recently had a flood over in Nashville, not that the media showed it. Huge portions of the city went under, however no one fought or looted or rioted, so there was no photo op for the president or Sean Penn. People just got together and began rebuilding and wouldn't have cared if the president came. And most wouldn't even know who Sean Penn is, as I wish I didn't.


I'm writing these blogs for anyone and everyone, however most people that know me also know I don't really like people. Don't get me wrong, I love people. I pray for people. I want only the best for everyone and will help anyone I can. I'm just not real big on being around people. Some have said I would have been a great monk, hence the nickname.
Anyway...I am also an Eastern Orthodox Christian. This of course is the second largest Christian church in the world, but still relatively unknown in America. You could say we are like soccer in America. People have sometimes heard of it, maybe seen a sign or heard talk of it, but know relatively little about it.

I will do at least one blog per week. I will cover the current news and also cover Christianity from an Orthdox perspective. I will not put the two together, as the Protestant TV evangelists do in such a repulsive way. I will also attempt very dry humor occasionally and hopefully won't have to point out when I am trying to be humorous.
Somewhere down the road, if you like what I have to say, let me know. If you don't agree with something you may also let me know, but please be civil about it.

Until then, have a great life and God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read more from my intelligent, opinionated husband!

    ReplyDelete